Monday, March 2, 2015

Sketches at the Museum



These where done last weekend at the museum for Paleo- Palooza at the Academy of Natural Sciences. The image on top was for one of my daughters school friends for her birthday party which was a "dinosaur fairy princess party"!! how cool is that. I want a "dinosaur star wars skateboard party".
The two black and white images are done with an audience watching and each takes about an hour to do.
I am going to be doing the same thing for an adult event at the museum "Adult Safari Overnight" this coming weekend. I am excited to be doing this with an all adult audience. Should be fun.
The images are blue sharpie marker sketch lines with black sharpie finished ink.
If you have never sketched large like this there are a few things to remember. put up a few sheets of paper to keep the marker from bleeding onto the wall (Cause Mom or Wife or Husband will kill you if you mess up the walls!!) Stand up while you draw so you can step back often to see how it is all working. use lots of blue lines to get the under sketch right, they will fade back as you use the black marker to do the finishing lines. Don't worry about getting the sketch right just keep tweaking it until you like it the blue is just a guide.
I like to do this sort of sketching when I am working on a new animal. It lets me think with my hands to work out anatomical stuff as well as mood and setting.

Have fun!!

~JP

No comments:

Post a Comment